What information do we collect?
- Basic account information: If you register on this server, you may be asked to enter your real name, last name, an email address, and a password. You may also enter additional profile information such as a nickname, status, biography, interests, etc. Your first name, last name, a nickname, a status, and a profile picture are always listed publicly.
- Posts, private messages and other information: All information is processed and stored on the server. When you submit any content, the date and time are stored with the post, including attachments. Messages may contain media attachments, such as pictures and videos. Posts are available publicly. Personal messages are only delivered to users to whom you have personally sent messages. Please do not share any dangerous information over OpenVK.
- IPs and other metadata: When you log in, we may record the IP address you log in from, as well as the name of your browser application. We also may retain server logs which include the IP address of every request to our server.
What do we use your information for?
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in the following ways:
- To provide the core functionality of OpenVK. You can only interact with other people's content and post your own content when you are logged in.
- To aid moderation of the community, for example comparing your IP address with other known ones to determine ban evasion or other violations.
- The email address you provide may be used to regain access to your account by changing your password.
How do we protect your information?
We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you enter, submit, or access your personal information. Among other things, your browser session, as well as the traffic between your applications and the API, are secured with SSL (unless you're using openvk.co), and your password is hashed using a strong one-way algorithm.
Yes. Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow). These cookies enable the site to recognize your browser and, if you have a registered account, associate it with your registered account.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our site, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety.
This document is CC-BY-SA. It was last updated July 23, 2022.